Post Conviction Relief

Post-Conviction Relief in Oregon

Portland Criminal Lawyers

If you have been convicted of a crime in Oregon you have a number of different legal options in obtaining post-conviction relief through the courts. These include filing an appeal to overturn the conviction or to get your sentence reduced as well expungement, which is the sealing of your criminal record.

Types of Post-Conviction Relief

If you have been convicted of a crime, you can appeal, asking a higher court to review the records of your case for any legal errors which may have affected the judge or jury's decision in regards to the verdict or the sentencing. In an appeal, no new evidence may be presented. The appellate court will only look at the court records and any briefs filed by your attorney on your behalf. If you wish to appeal your conviction, it is important that you act quickly to fulfill any legal requirements.

Another form of relief following a conviction is through record-sealing, otherwise referred to as expungement. An expungement will make it impossible for others to access criminal records, such as police and investigation records, court records, and jail or prison records. To be granted an expungement, you must apply to the courts with a petition. Guidelines exist as to eligibility and regulations for expungements.

Providing Legal Assistance Following a Criminal Conviction

To explore your legal options, we recommend that you contact The Law Office of Don J. Molnar to arrange for a consultation with a criminal defense attorney at your earliest opportunity. We can review your situation and provide you with specific and detailed professional advice about where you stand and what needs to be done to seek justice through the system. Donald Molnar is an experienced attorney who has argued successfully on behalf of clients before the Oregon Court of Appeals and he has helped numerous clients expunge their criminal records.

It is important to consult with our attorney to determine if you qualify for this legal action. Contact the Portland criminal attorney at the firm for experienced legal help with an appeal or expungement today.